Desperately seeking dinner inspiration? We’ve got a quick and easy recipe to tackle for a hearty and healthy bean soup. Count us in!
Halima Ferreira is a private chef who has cooked for ultra-high-net-worth individuals all over the world (we’re talking royalty). She’s recently qualified as a detox specialist and holistic nutritionist, she believes in the power of food and the concept of ‘culinary medicine’ – a concept that combines nutrition and culinary knowledge with the science of medicine. We’re down with that!
Hearty Mixed Bean Soup
• 2 tins of mixed beans using a variety adds interest, flavour, and
• 1.5 litre vegetable stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
• 3 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
• 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
• 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 sweet potato cut roughly into ½ inch cubes
• 2 parsnips peeled and roughly diced
• 6 leaves of kale de-stemmed and roughly chopped
• 15 oz. canned chopped tomatoes
• 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Chopped parsley to garnish
Rinse beans and drain.
Sauté the onions and garlic, then add the celery, carrots, bay leaf, tomatoes, sauté for about 10 minutes .
Meanwhile, tip beans, parsnip, sweet potato, vegetable stock and balsamic vinegar into the sauté mix.
Cook for about 30 to 45 minutes add more water if needed to achieve the soup consistency you want.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and lastly add the kale stir through for about 10 minutes.
Serve hot with some chopped parsley and some good crusty bread.
Legumes are a delicious and healthy source of protein. They are naturally low in fats and cholesterol and high in fiber, folate, potassium, iron and magnesium.